Happy August friends!
August kind of feels like a big month for me this year. I can’t seem to keep everything organized into neat posts today so you get bullets:
- Love and Marriage. My Matron of Honor duties are beginning to wrap up (still weird being a “matron”). I’m finalizing little things and preparing for a last hurrah for my friend as a “miss.” Of course my friend is getting married this month! I’ve been looking forward to this wedding for probably about 2 years. I’m also ashamed to admit that I’m looking forward to the last wedding on the books for this year to wrap up so that I have a bit of a break before the 2014 weddings start coming (The calendar already has 3 on it!)
- Home. Next week is one year since actually moving into our house. It feels like yesterday, but it also feels like forever ago.
- Blue. So far I like my G4 Dexcom.. I’m liking the blue but keeping an eye on Pump Peelz for a decal patter/color combo that I like. I feel like there used to be one I liked but now that I actually have the Dexcom nothing speaks to me so far.
- Low. Speaking of my Dexcom and that lovely 55 (don’t worry I’m eating as I type!) My newest low symptom is blurred vision… which is also a high symptom. Also… not being able to keep my fingers on the right keys.
- Sewing. My new dress form… yet to be named. Might be christened with a refashion for a work social event this weekend. That is contingent on finding time to sew this weekend.
What’s August hold for you?
I got this light-weight, black and green dress at a consignment shop when I was in high school. It hung unworn in my closet last summer so I decided to do something with it. The original plan was to take the whole top off of it and replace it… that was the plan up until I put it on to take a before picture.
I decided that it just needed a bit of a trim… so to speak. Read the rest of this entry
I alter recipes right and left. I’m not a careful measurer of certain ingredients. And if I make it a few times, I don’t even bother with digging the recipe out of my box.
In short…. I drive my husband crazy.
When Brad was going to grill steaks at home for Valentine’s Day, he looked up the exact seasoning and temperature to grill at. He did the same thing for pork chops, chicken burgers, brats, corn, etc. I get it. I understand the desire to find the steps for a guaranteed positive outcome. It’s not always the way I work though.
I wanted to grill peaches since a) they’re in season and b) I’ve heard they’re good but never had them. I looked at several recipes to get ideas of how to season them and get specifics on heat/time. In my opinion, grilled peaches are a side and not a dessert so most of the recipes that included sugar, ice cream and honey got nixed. Here’s how we ended up doing the peaches (Brad is the griller… I just help):
- 2 peaches
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh pepper Read the rest of this entry
Sorry about the only two posts this week situation… No excuses and no promises, just some thoughts on summer.
1. I’m incredibly happy that it’s grilling season. Last night we grilled all of our dinner. Pork chops, corn on the cob and peaches. It was wonderful!
2. We’ve been in wedding season for awhile and find ourselves wandering through Bed, Bath and Beyond with blue registries and trying to keep the gift receipts separate. It’s not just weddings though, there are bridal showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, other wedding-related festivities on top of the normal summer festivities. I told someone the other day that I miss summers as a kid when I actually had time to be bored!
3. Our “summer” stuff like vacation and Cedar Point are already over with, which is in some ways sad and in other ways good because we don’t have a single free weekend until fall!
4. The fact that it’s summer means that I have excellent excuses to wear skirts and dresses… which I love. If you’d asked me that a few years ago, I’d roll my eyes and say that I’m a pants person. What changed?
5. Sun. Sunshine. Sunglasses. Sunny days. The bright, warm days and a little vitamin D for this D-deficient girl are just wonderful. (I do seriously have a vitamin D deficiency and the test results to prove it.)
Tell me about your summer!
- What’s your favorite thing to grill?
- Any big summer trips planned?
- What’s the best thing about warmer days?