What to Wear to a Graduation
If you’re graduating, let’s be honest your outfit won’t be seen during the ceremony. With that said… don’t wear jeans under a graduation gown, that will be seen.
I made the mistake of wearing “challenging” shoes when I graduated from college. Because of the horrible parking situation, we walked from our apartment to graduation. Add that to the processional, going across the stage, walking to lunch, etc (thankfully my parents drove me back to my apartment!) I had a college degree AND blisters.
What to wear if you’re a graduate:
- Sensible/comfortable dress shoes. They should look nice and give you the height you want… without giving you blisters or causing you to trip down the steps.
- Something that won’t look crazy under a gown. If your graduation gown is white, wear white underneath. If you wear a white dress with a yellow pattern under one of the thin white gowns, your gown will look dirty. If you wear any other color underneath, it’ll look like you’ve been in a wet
t-shirtgrad gown contest.
- Hair down. If you wear your hair up with a graduation cap, you run the risk of looking bald or having hat troubles. (Also bring a couple of bobby pins to pin to affix your hat to your head.)
What to wear if you’re a guest at a graduation:
- Not jeans.
- A dress, skirt or dress pants. If it’s a spring/summer graduation, have fun with patterns and colors. December graduations are a good time to embrace textures and jewel tones.
- Something comfortable but still nice. Every graduation I’ve ever attended has been a long ceremony and not usually in a comfortable seat… you can’t control those things, but you can control how comfortable your clothes are.
- Nothing too revealing or that could embarrass you during a hug or photo.
- Avoid hats and fascinators out of respect for the people sitting behind you.
- Comfortable but nice shoes.
- A smile. Someone you care about is graduating! (unless you attend graduations as a hobby, but smile regardless)
I attended my brother-in-law’s high school graduation over the weekend and put together some outfit ideas on Polyvore that might be helpful for some inspiration:
I ended up wearing my new blue maxi dress with a short-sleeved white blazer.
Congratulations to the graduates of 2013!
I’m linking up for What I Wore Wednesday.
Posted on May 29, 2013, in My Life, Student, Style and tagged class of 2013, clothing, Fashion, graduation, inspiration, maxi dress, outfit, polyvore, Rachel, style. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.